What is a Fashion Stylist? or Who is a Fashion Stylist?In Short A (wardrobe stylist, also fashion stylist, is a specialist who selects the clothing for published article features, print or television promotion campaigns, music videos, concert shows, and any public appearances made by celebrities, models or other public figures.)
A Fashion Stylist can also be referred to as a Wardrobe Stylist, Fashion Editor, or Celebrity Stylist. A Fashion Stylist is one of the most successful emerging fields in the fashion world globally and is the position title of someone who selects the clothing and accessories for published editorial features, print or television advertising campaigns, music videos, concert shows, and any public presentations made by celebrities, models or other public personalities.
Learn Also: What is Difference between Fashion and Style?
Fashion Stylists borrow/rent and exchange clothing and accessories from fashion boutiques and directly from fashion designers. Items can also be purchased if funds are available. Most boutiques and designers will want you to leave a deposit or credit card details in case the garment or accessory becomes damaged while on rent.
What does a Fashion Stylist do?
Fashion Stylists may perform the following tasks:
- Select items to appear in fashion magazines/media
- Choose apparel for TV personalities, celebrities or the wardrobe for film or TV casts.
- Source fashion accessories and props for photographic shoots or film/TV personalities, or product arrangement in fashion magazines/media.
- Counsel on photographic approaches and the selection of locations, props, apparel, models, makeup artists, photographers, hair stylists and the overall look for photo shoots.
- Advise and lead the photography of items and clothing selected for advertising.
- Liaise with fashion designers, retailers, the media, models/model agencies, photographers, makeup artists, hairdressers, beauty therapists, individual trainers and the media.
- Organise and analyze fashion parades and events.
- Write articles/Editorials on the modern fashion trends.
- Provide fashion trend to buyers, merchandisers and product developers/designers.
- Address at events about image and fashion trends.
- Give makeup and hair styling services to clients or complete makeup and hair styling on location for photo shoots.
What is a personal fashion stylist?
A personal stylist is a person who typically directs individuals on, for example, new fashion trends, clothing/apparel styles, colors and makeup. A personal stylist is a known profession not to be confused with a 'stylist' whose role it is predominantly to direct fashion photo-shoots for leading fashion labels.
How much does a fashion stylist make a year?
An entry-level fashion stylist can suppose to earn around $20 per hour or $150 - $200 a day. More skilled stylists may make between $500 and $5,000 daily, while those who work for the elite, such as celebrities and super-models, may earn over $5,000 a day or $100,000 annually.